Skip to main content

Aren't You Afraid They'll Take Back Your Baby?

In many ways, raising and parenting a child whose genetic heritage is not the same as your own is no different than raising or parenting any child. All children have basic needs common to all people, including food and affection, as well as age-appropriate needs (e.g. diaper changes and burping).

But this unique form of parenting also raises some questions that wouldn't cross most parents' minds. One I've heard a lot is: Aren't you afraid that one day, your baby's placing family will decide they want her back and take her?

I want to assure you that if you are considering embryo adoption, you shouldn't let this fear haunt your decision. Let me explain why.

It is indeed true that in the case of conventional domestic adoptions, birth mothers have the opportunity to keep their baby rather than placing him or her for adoption. Adoption Network Law Center has done a nice job compiling the various state-level requirements for parental consent before an adoption can proceed. Another resource that clearly explains a birth mother's rights is this page from American Adoptions, an adoption agency.

One factor that remains constant, whether in domestic or embryo adoption, is the process of giving legal consent. Both adoption processes are enacted using a legally binding contract, and embryos are considered property under the law, which makes the process arguably more straightforward. There are numerous points at which a placing family can decide to push pause on the adoption for whatever reason. Julie and I signed a legally binding contract, just as our placing family did, as part of our adoption process. In a future post, I'll share some of the elements you might expect to find in your own embryo adoption contract.

The purpose of the contract, and really the entire adoption process, is to provide any children that are born through embryo adoption the legitimacy of any other adopted child. In the past, people simply referred to the process of moving embryos from one family to another as mere donation. That couldn't be further from the truth. If you believe as we do that embryos represent human lives, the process is stripped of being a mere transaction and becomes something that transforms both families entirely, deeply, forever.

You should also be aware that in many cases, couples freeze embryos and pay monthly to ensure they are stored safely until they are comfortable placing them. In some cases, perhaps couples simply pay the fee and forget about them. I suspect, though, that many parents choose to keep their embryos preserved because they recognize the humanity of those embryos. They are working toward the point when they can emotionally and spiritually place them in full confidence, trusting God to shepherd the adoption process. Sometimes, that process takes years or even decades.

My point is simply this: Couples that place their embryos might already have other older children and be past the point of raising more children, either because their doctor told them they couldn't physically bring more babies to term or because their family is complete. The idea of a placing family taking back babies from the embryos they've donated is less scary when you realize many of these families already have children, they recognize the humanity of these embryos deeply and they genuinely want another family to be blessed with a child in the best possible environment.

Part of the fear I sometimes hear likely also stems from the past practice of closed adoptions. Family A puts up Child A for adoption and disappears into the woodwork. Child A is left with no record of his or her past, more questions than answers and deep sorrow about the loss of a critically important relationship, both personal and genetic. Even today, I know many people search desperately for their biological family. It would be disingenuous to say that I understand their plight, having never been in that situation, but I can only imagine how painful the process must be.

Nonetheless, adoption has come a long way, and I'm very grateful for the sake of Phoebe and the two families that love her dearly. Our open adoption means we will have ongoing communication and shared experiences with our daughter's placing family. Our adoption agency recently informed us that ours is a rather unusual experience -- many embryo adoptions end up being cross-country relationships where families often don't see one another on a regular basis. In our case, we're blessed to be about 90 minutes from the family that forever changed our lives for the better.

Embryo adoption is a lifelong process. It isn't a moment in time or a heat-of-the-moment decision that parents quickly jump into or out of. So if someone asks you,  "Aren't you afraid they'll take back your baby?", I want to encourage you that fear should have no place in your response. Get to know your placing family, cherish them and your budding relationship, and do everything with openness and the best interest of your baby at heart.

A little education and a lot of compassion go a long way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'A Link Between Angels And Men'

I ran across a quote today that I think is particularly true and that parents know better than anyone: “A babe in the house is a well-spring of pleasure, a messenger of peace and love, a resting place for innocence on earth, a link between angels and men.” That observation comes from the English writer Martin Farquhar Tupper , who lived from 1810 to 1889 . How is it that those words still resonate nearly 130 years after his death? Perhaps it is because they capture the joy of a newborn. Few sights are as innocent as a baby fast asleep, a hand across the chest, tiny fingers spread out and still. Indeed, it is this restful and unimpeded state so many adults seek and so few seem to find. Another explanation for the power of the passage is this: We have become so accustomed to the violence and suffering in our world that we long for the opposite state of being. It is a reality accessible only in our imaginations--and in the lives of our children. No wonder we seek to give them

Make No Excuses

I come from a long line of apologists. By which I mean, we apologize and express regret for many if not most of the things we do, most days of the week. Perhaps you know people like this. As a parent, I have come to realize that this approach is largely a waste of time and energy. Both of those resources are in short supply. Who cares what other people think about your decisions? It's tough to critique people who act with integrity and within the framework of their faith. For example, tonight my energy is waning. Julie and I just completed our monthly budget. It is prime-time entertainment, let me tell you. I'd like to keep on pushing forward on my manuscript. That big announcement I've been promising is coming any day now. I'm beyond excited. It pains me that my eyelids are drooping. Microsoft Word will be around tomorrow, just as it is today. But tonight, I am saying: No. I've heard it's a complete sentence . You have my permission to say "n

The Challenge

Sometimes, circumstances push us to act. Such is the case with my family's embryo adoption journey. Over the past two years, I've come to realize there's a tremendous thirst in our country, and among young couples in particular, to build families. I'm not just talking about the biological or technological processes that enable us to have children. I'm talking about building deep, lasting, meaningful relationships. And if we are building families, then we are necessarily trying to lay the foundation for the next generation. I didn't ever think I'd be here. When my wife, Julie, suggested that we pursue embryo adoption, I didn't think it was what I wanted to do. But with the arrival of my daughter, Phoebe, in March this year, all of that changed. She has our three sons in the palms of her little hands -- and I'm right there with them. If you are already my friend or my family, thank you for reading. If you don't know me from the man in the moo