Skip to main content

My New Embryo Adoption Book 'Frozen, But Not Forgotten' Publishes April 1, 2019

In first grade, I turned my journal into a book depicting scenes from my young life. I titled it "Little House in the Big City" and made it official by writing the title in permanent marker on the gold spine. The cover had a picture of a droopy-eared golden retriever against a red background.

OK, so the title and the cover didn't exactly line up. Work with me here.

Today, I have a different and arguably more exciting announcement. My first real book publishes April 1, 2019, from Carpenter's Son Publishing, and I couldn't be more thrilled because of the content.

This project has a singular mission: Help parents discover, learn about and consider embryo adoption as they build their families.

It is titled "Frozen, But Not Forgotten"**. Each chapter guides parents through the process Julie and I encountered, including making initial inquiries with adoption agencies, debunking myths about stolen babies, explaining why a fertile couple spends months with infertility doctors, and opening your heart to an entirely new branch of your family tree.

Did I mention I used to be an embryo adoption skeptic? That's in the book, too.

(Don't miss a single "Frozen, But Not Forgotten" book update! To subscribe, type your email address into the form at the top of this page and click the "Subscribe" button. You'll get all my latest blog posts plus some free goodies along the way.)

Maybe you want to adopt but your spouse isn't on board. Maybe you've never heard of embryo adoption and think it sounds crazy. Perhaps  you're ready to start the adoption journey but want a preview of what you're going to go through in the months ahead. If this is you or someone you know, I hope this book proves helpful.

When Julie and I began our embryo adoption process two years ago, we had no idea what we were getting into. Sure, we'd heard about the experiences of Christian friends who'd been through this before. Our adoption agency provided excellent information. And there are plenty of helpful online resources.

But there wasn't anywhere we could go for a single, 360-degree view of the process. No one had explained to us in any detail why it matters. Or that there are estimated to be 1 million frozen embryos in the U.S. today -- a figure that rises each year.

If you believe life matters, and you know other families that do, too, this book is for you. My daughter Phoebe graces the cover, and she is precious. Lots of books have cute stories, and you'll find plenty in my book. But you'll also get practical tips that will save you time, money, and interpersonal headaches. I've put my journalism experience to work in an effort to keep couples organized and sane through the beautiful but daunting adoption process.

Will you join me on this journey to help bring the light of adoption to couples who are seeking to have a family? I can't wait to see the impact we can have together.

Thanks for reading. We're only getting started.

**My friend Carla Bale gets full credit for crafting the title. To her -- and to all of you who suggested additionally wonderful titles and gave helpful input on the cover -- I say, "Thank you!"


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    'A Link Between Angels And Men'

    I ran across a quote today that I think is particularly true and that parents know better than anyone: “A babe in the house is a well-spring of pleasure, a messenger of peace and love, a resting place for innocence on earth, a link between angels and men.” That observation comes from the English writer Martin Farquhar Tupper , who lived from 1810 to 1889 . How is it that those words still resonate nearly 130 years after his death? Perhaps it is because they capture the joy of a newborn. Few sights are as innocent as a baby fast asleep, a hand across the chest, tiny fingers spread out and still. Indeed, it is this restful and unimpeded state so many adults seek and so few seem to find. Another explanation for the power of the passage is this: We have become so accustomed to the violence and suffering in our world that we long for the opposite state of being. It is a reality accessible only in our imaginations--and in the lives of our children. No wonder we seek to give them

    Make No Excuses

    I come from a long line of apologists. By which I mean, we apologize and express regret for many if not most of the things we do, most days of the week. Perhaps you know people like this. As a parent, I have come to realize that this approach is largely a waste of time and energy. Both of those resources are in short supply. Who cares what other people think about your decisions? It's tough to critique people who act with integrity and within the framework of their faith. For example, tonight my energy is waning. Julie and I just completed our monthly budget. It is prime-time entertainment, let me tell you. I'd like to keep on pushing forward on my manuscript. That big announcement I've been promising is coming any day now. I'm beyond excited. It pains me that my eyelids are drooping. Microsoft Word will be around tomorrow, just as it is today. But tonight, I am saying: No. I've heard it's a complete sentence . You have my permission to say "n

    Toddler Interrogations

    I invited Ezra to sit with me this morning as I wrote my blog post. His eyes immediately were drawn to the thumbnail pictures of me on the screen. "There's Nate. And there's Nate," he said. "Daddy," he continued, "is that your glasses and your head and your hair and your chin?" Yes, dear. Yes, it is. Now it's onto the computer battery. "Daddy, what's this called?" A computer battery, I responded. "Oh. A computer battery. Daddy, why is this for your mouse [pointing at the USB]? Is that to make the mouse and that to make the mouse move on the screen [point at the keyboard]?" And so it goes. Little minds connect all of the dots, starting with the right questions. All we have to do is answer them, and keep answering.