Skip to main content

The Hardest Thing About Parenting Is...

...Realizing you could have been kinder with your child.

Or more empathetic.

Or more affectionate.

Or a better example, role model or spiritual anchor.

Or less glued to technology that sucks away attention.

Or far less selfish.

The list could go on and on.

The point is this: What are you doing now because of what you learned then? How are you bundling the raw, emotional energy -- of screwing up and veering off your vision for your family -- and converting it to action steps that get you back on track?

A few suggestions:

  • If you aren't leaning on your spouse, or a close circle of friends, or another trusted adviser, start leaning. Parenting is a lonely art without the wisdom of people who care about you and your family.
  • Forget what everyone tells you. There are no parenting experts, only parenting experimenters operating on and recycling fundamental ideas that have been around for generations. Science and data are useful guideposts, but they can't replace the emotional investment you pour into a child. Do your homework, but trust your instincts.
  • Don't let discouragement hold you back. Emotion isn't the enemy of parenting, it's a catalyst. Complex feelings and personalities naturally crash together like waves against a rock. Each of us parents from a different playbook and vastly different circumstances. Yours might be especially daunting. Be kind to yourself and expect the same from others in your life.
If you are anything like me, there are nights when your children go to bed and you desperately wish you could wake them up, hold them closely and ask for a do-over.

That's counterproductive. 

Let them sleep. Get some rest yourself. And greet the sunrise committed to making it your best day of parenting yet.

What is the hardest part of parenting, in your opinion? Share your comments below.

Comments

Anonymous said…

Letting them go when they are ready to fly and leave the nest. Letting them make their own mistakes just like you made yours. Thinking that you could have...should have done better.
Nate said…
Well said -- and thank you for the comment. As you can probably tell, I haven't been through the process of letting them out of the nest -- yet. But I can only imagine that takes a lot of courage as a parent. Thank you for the encouragement.

Popular posts from this blog

'A Link Between Angels And Men'

I ran across a quote today that I think is particularly true and that parents know better than anyone: “A babe in the house is a well-spring of pleasure, a messenger of peace and love, a resting place for innocence on earth, a link between angels and men.” That observation comes from the English writer Martin Farquhar Tupper , who lived from 1810 to 1889 . How is it that those words still resonate nearly 130 years after his death? Perhaps it is because they capture the joy of a newborn. Few sights are as innocent as a baby fast asleep, a hand across the chest, tiny fingers spread out and still. Indeed, it is this restful and unimpeded state so many adults seek and so few seem to find. Another explanation for the power of the passage is this: We have become so accustomed to the violence and suffering in our world that we long for the opposite state of being. It is a reality accessible only in our imaginations--and in the lives of our children. No wonder we seek to give them

Make No Excuses

I come from a long line of apologists. By which I mean, we apologize and express regret for many if not most of the things we do, most days of the week. Perhaps you know people like this. As a parent, I have come to realize that this approach is largely a waste of time and energy. Both of those resources are in short supply. Who cares what other people think about your decisions? It's tough to critique people who act with integrity and within the framework of their faith. For example, tonight my energy is waning. Julie and I just completed our monthly budget. It is prime-time entertainment, let me tell you. I'd like to keep on pushing forward on my manuscript. That big announcement I've been promising is coming any day now. I'm beyond excited. It pains me that my eyelids are drooping. Microsoft Word will be around tomorrow, just as it is today. But tonight, I am saying: No. I've heard it's a complete sentence . You have my permission to say "n

The Challenge

Sometimes, circumstances push us to act. Such is the case with my family's embryo adoption journey. Over the past two years, I've come to realize there's a tremendous thirst in our country, and among young couples in particular, to build families. I'm not just talking about the biological or technological processes that enable us to have children. I'm talking about building deep, lasting, meaningful relationships. And if we are building families, then we are necessarily trying to lay the foundation for the next generation. I didn't ever think I'd be here. When my wife, Julie, suggested that we pursue embryo adoption, I didn't think it was what I wanted to do. But with the arrival of my daughter, Phoebe, in March this year, all of that changed. She has our three sons in the palms of her little hands -- and I'm right there with them. If you are already my friend or my family, thank you for reading. If you don't know me from the man in the moo